Sunday, 19 October 2014

Horrors of terror!!

There are some terrible examples of horror films out there, the ones that rely solely on disgusting the audience as much as possible - which is sometimes fun to watch but I often find I just want to shower afterwards!

This list consists of 5 of my favourite horror films out there. Since Halloween is right around the corner we might as well delve into some scary shit and get in the spirit of scaring ourselves silly!


         1). Evil Dead (2013)
Rotten Tomatoes 63%
Setting - In a remote cabin in the middle of the woods; already we have a definite horror story, not many rom-coms start like this. Let's take things further, the weather sucks, when was the last time you saw a horror which took place in the middle of roaring summer? Well a good one anyway... The film is everything a modern horror should be, it's ful of blood & gore, almost everyone dies, the murderer is an unknown spirit of sorts and there's a tone of dead cats! I don't know if I was just so terrified because I watched it in an empty cinema (just me and my boyfriend) and the chairs kept creaking but whatever it was I couldn't even go to the toilet on my own by the end of it. No, seriously, I held it in until we got home and left the door open just in case...
The Descent

2). The Descent (2006)
Rotten Tomatoes - 85%
OK, so some of you may be thinking,'is she for real?' & I understand. This is a questionable option. I can tell you in all honesty I absolutely shit myself at the same point every time I see this film; when the strange mutant creature pops up on the screen out of no where. Even though I don't understand what these creatures are, they still scare me quite a lot so this film deserves a place in my horrors of terror list.



3). Scream (1996)
Rotten Tomatoes - 76%
It's the ending! "My mom and dad are gonna be so mad at me!" Says Stu after learning Sid's rang the police. The whole film is full of cheesy one liners with a pinch of chilling suspense. It's a genius mix of comedy and horror and you can't not fall in love with Dewey the dumb cop! 

halloween john carpenter

4). Halloween (1978)
Rotten Tomatoes - 98%
Mike Myers. Creepy child clown. Stab. Stab. Stab. Jamie Lee Curtis.  Mental asylum. Freedom. Stab. Stab. Stab. Death. Death. Death. Oh he's not dead. Trying again. No that didn't work either. Never mind. This is the ultimate slasher movie, it does not matter that it was made in 1978, that fact makes it all the more beautiful. It holds the kind of tense suspense that Hitchcock managed in his 'Psycho'. Interesting fact: Jamie Lee's mother Janet Liegh played Marion Crane in Psycho.

The Ring
5). The Ring (2002)
Rotten Tomatoes - 72%
I kid you not, I watched this film 6-7 months ago in the middle of the night when my boyfriend was asleep, after the film I tried to go to sleep, suddenly, the red light on the TV started flickering and I almost cried! The well scene is so heart thumpingly tense I was 30 seconds away from a cardiac arrest before the climax finally hit. If you've seen that distressed child eerily jitter out of the TV you'll completely understand this films necessity in the top 5 horrors of terror.

I hope you enjoyed this list and that you all get scaring yourselves in the lead up to the scariest night of the year! Thanks, Amy x


No comments: