Saturday, 21 June 2014

Surviving Uni.

What I learnt as a fresher… other than how to become a world class Journalist.

1.       You have to wash your bedding.

A lot of you may be thinking ‘well duh!’ where as others may think ‘I thought it washed itself’. Well, apparently, it doesn't. It seemed that my mother had actually been washing me every fortnight for my entire life. Who knew? The only thing that gave me the energy to do it was the thought of how many nights I’d collapsed in my bed at 4am covered in blood, sweat and tears. (The 3 things a terrible night out are made of and I never really came back covered in any of these but you get the picture).

2.       Money doesn't grow on trees.

At home mommy and daddy provide food, if you are desperate to go out or need new clothes they may just help you. Not any more. You’re on your own guys. Your first week is none stop partying. Your second week you have all this loan and not enough clothes, shoes and food. So, you go on a spree, you've never had this much money before, you buy glow sticks, shot glasses, Halloween outfits; the shops are yours and you take them! Then comes the Natwest text message: ‘you have less than £100 in your bank account’. Oh shit. Suddenly there’s too much term left at the end of your loan. So instead of leaving yourself starving and penniless: manage your money and try, try, try to get a part time job.

3.       Not everyone has to be your friend.

You get to your accommodation and you’re like ‘OMG, I'm here, there are so many people, and I want to know everyone!’ It doesn't work, there will likely be over 500 people in your halls of residence; it’s very likely that a few of them will clash a little. You may meet your best friend and so many amazing people who will stay in your life long after university but you don’t have to put up with everyone. Just be polite and friendly and keep a bit of distance between you and those you’re unsure of.

4.       Even your closest friends will annoy you.

I went to the same University as my best friend, I stayed in the same flat as my best friend and she did my head in. I love her to bits, she’s like a sister to me and has been since we were six but sisters get on each other’s nerves. You live with your closest friends and as amazing as it is, you do come to clashes. I can’t remember how many times I annoyed my flat mates or they annoyed me but you become one big family and quickly get over tiffs.

5.       Lectures are so important!


You’ll think ‘It’s only one, what harm can it do?’ I missed so many lectures because of incurable hangovers or just wanting an extra hour in bed and I 100% wish I’d gone to them all. You’re missing out on information you've paid nine grand for, information that will help you at university and in your future career. So get out of bed, go to your lectures and soak up everything you can. Become a sponge of knowledge. 

Thanks for reading, Amy xx

No comments: